Blog

Repeatable Fields in Pods 2.0

Repeating fields is going to be awesome – but we need to decide how to store this data.

We have a few options:

1. For each ‘repeatable’ field, have a separate table devoted to it that has these fields: id, related_id, and value (stored as the field’s type, like date, number, etc..)
  2. For each ‘repeatable’ field’s Pod, have a separate table devoted to it that has these fields: id, related_id, field_id, and value (longtext)
  3. Have a catchall table for ‘repeatable’ data called wp_pods_repeatable that has these fields: id, pod_id, related_id, field_id, and value (longtext)
  4. Store repeatable field data within the same ‘pod’ table such as wp_pods_tbl_mypod.my_field_name (longtext – json array of values)

I’m also considering an additional field to whatever table we figure out this data should go in called meta (longtext, extensible to include other data) but I’m not sure if that’s useful.

I’m really leaning towards option #1, but feel free to chime in here with any +1 or -1 comments.

UPDATE: Seems everyone is voting for #1, which seems to be the best option regardless of the caveats of the additional tables – it comes down to what is the best for the developer and the data itself.

24 thoughts on “Repeatable Fields in Pods 2.0”

1. What exactly are we talking about when we say “repeatable”. Does this mean that an individual pod can have multiple instances of this field? Or that the field can be used across multiple pods?

Mike

2. I assume this is similar to how custom fields can be set many times for a single post.

I say we go with JSON data which will allow us to either pull that into some Javascript or parse it with JSON_decode in php adn then loop over the results.

• I’m afraid JSON has the drawback of hindering any intermediate to advanced SQL operations, and will really make it difficult for users to do a simple $pods->find($params) query. If we go with options 1, 2, or 3, we will have the same setup as PICK / File fields do for filtering / selecting – which would really be easier on the user as well as the dev’s many needs.

• Yeah you’re right. I was just thinking in situations where I wouldn’t be putting in filterable data. -1 to the json storage

3. Trying to think of this in the most extreme way possible. What if, continuing on the phone number example Scott posted, you wanted to query for Pods that had a certain phone number entered (as one of the repeatable fields). Not sure why that’d ever come up, but one of the main reasons I like Pods so much is the ability to do crazy queries very quickly and easily. Storing JSON would cut that out. That said, I’m thinking +1 on #1 so far.

4. Also didn’t mention it, but once this is figured out, we could modify to allow for ‘repeatable field groups’ which could be for things like ‘Address’, ‘Contacts’, or other things that are disposable (only used for that pod item).

5. I want so badly to accept #3, since I don’t like the idea of adding extra tables for each repeatable field. However, the trade off of longtext against any other specific data type is too much for me.

+1 for #1

• Yeah, the caveat is there’s a table for each field but the benefit is the data is stored the right way and there’s not as big of a ‘lookup’ vs a big table to rule them all.

• But if Drupal can do it, I don’t see why we can’t. The user doesn’t even need to know, the UI will be very easy to use and won’t require much work from the implementation side.

6. +1 for a modded #2 where value would be stored the same as in #1: “stored as the field’s type, like date, number, etc..” If we are going to put in a bit of overhead, we might as well add in some more flexibility/programmability for our advanced users.

• Maybe you misunderstood, #1 means separate tables for each repeatable field, #2 means separate tables for each ‘pod’ that stores data for all it’s repeatable fields – so the mod you stated wouldn’t work because it would effect all the other fields too.

7. +1 for #1 !! Having more tables isn’t always a bad thing especially when Pod’s has to stay consistent in the way you access data and also as flexible as possible.

8. Seems everyone is voting for #1, which seems to be the best option regardless of the caveats of the additional tables – it comes down to what is the best for the developer and the data itself.

For Post Types / Users / Comments, if the option is set to store in the meta table, there will need to be a decision at some point to figure out how to allow for the Pods::find($params) to work correctly. I’m going to say that it probably won’t be a big priority, as people can utilize the core WP functions for access to that data. If they choose table-based storage then they can utilize the Pods::find($params) in a more complex way.

Comments are closed.